The Solar Plexus Chakra is also alternatively termed “Manipura”, which is a Sanskrit word that means “a lustrous gem.” The Manipura is the third chakra. The Solar Plexus Chakra relates to one’s self-esteem, is the origin of personal power, and offers a transformation power. The Manipura Chakra governs our ego, personality, individual freedom, identity, the quality of being authentic, and the ability to choose. Aspects of self-confidence, willpower, and motivation also connect to the Manipura Chakra. It can be viewed as the seat of the soul.
The Solar Plexus Chakra governs the digestive system and the organs associated with it, and therefore it has some extent of power over the emotional brain and the stored emotions of one’s gut. The jewel properties associated with it strengthen the digestive system and the diaphragm. The Solar Plexus Chakra is also responsible for metabolism autonomy. The Solar Plexus Chakra is the energy source reliable for building our relationships with others and “self-sense.” It is responsible for how we view the world around us, our beliefs, and how we interact with the world.
Solar Plexus Chakra color and symbol
The Solar Plexus Chakra is linked with masculinity, and the color associated with it is bright yellow, just like the sun. Elementally, it is associated with fire. The fire element is meant to ignite one’s inner fire (Tejas) and strengthen one’s digestive fire(Agni). The Manipura symbol resembles the mandala lotus, which comprises a downward pointing triangle inside a ten petaled flower. The ten petals are decorated in vrittis- waves of thought that represent negative aspects that must be overcome to open the Manipura. These aspects include; Spiritual ignorance, fear, jealousy/envy, treachery/betrayal, shame, thirst, hatred/disgust, delusion, foolishness, and sadness.
Where is the Solar Plexus Chakra located
The Solar Plexus Chakra is situated close to the upper abdomen, around the navel area, and up to the breastbone. Its location connects it to the digestive system.
How does the Solar Plexus Chakra get blocked
Blockage or any imbalance in the Solar Plexus Chakra results in physiological indications such as gastric and digestive issues such as heartburn, constipation, improper processing of body nutrients, irritable bowel syndrome, stomach pain, acidity, nausea, lost appetite, and ulcers. Conditions such as diabetes, eating disorders, and hypoglycemia can also be linked to a blocked Solar Plexus Chakra. Physically, when an imbalance or blockage of the Solar Plexus Chakra occurs, one may experience fatigue and excess weight around the stomach.
Emotionally, an imbalanced Manipura will lead to irresponsibility, doubt, and mistrust towards others, poor decision making, victim mentality, insecurity, low self-esteem, extreme need for control, worries, feeling helpless, and inauthentic. Some people will often seek continuous approval from others, which may lead to unhealthy attachments with others.
For some people, if the Solar Plexus Chakra is not in alignment, excellent self-expression deems challenging by manifesting as overly controlling or rigid behaviour.
How to heal the Solar Plexus Chakra
Activation of a blocked Solar Plexus Chakra will cultivate the need to gain insight for individuality, identity, and an understanding of one’s power. A healthily aligned and balanced Manipura Chakra will remove feelings of insecurity, enabling one to recognize his innate power. One gains a deeper understanding of their contributions to achieve success, which steers prosperity both personally and professionally. With an aligned Manipura Chakra, one can get rid of negativity easily since their dependency on others is now reduced. One can now recognize their self-worth rather than focus on material things. Generally, an aligned Solar Plexus Chakra promotes an inspired life led by a more positive individual.
To find balance and amp for the healing of the Solar Plexus Chakra, the following can be used or practiced:
Breathing exercises – The Solar Flexus Chakra has an element of control over digestion and body metabolism. These two can be awakened by practicing breathing exercises. The Bhastrika breath exercise will help enhance digestion and boost metabolism. One should ensure that they are not on a full stomach before starting the patterns. The Bhastrika breathing exercise is achieved by:
- Sitting comfortably with one’s shoulders relaxed and the spine tall.
- Taking a few deep inhales and exhales with the mouth closed.
- Forcefully inhaling via the nose to inflate the lower abdomen, and strongly exhaling via the nose and pushing the lower abdomen towards the spine. One can use a one-half count during the inhalation and exhalation to attain a feeling of an abdominal workout.
- Make ten repetitions and work these towards fifteen or twenty. Upon completion, a glowing or tingling feeling is felt around the navel.
Meditation– Meditation will help when you feel at crossroads or when you feel stuck between decisions and are not sure of what action(s) to take. Try meditation that is designed for the Manipura. To meditate;
- Place your hand over your belly button area with the eyes closed.
- Bring the dilemma or problem to the attention of your mind.
- Observe how the Manipura feels when presented with choices regarding what you are in the struggle with. A nauseated or sinking feeling may tell you that it is a wrong decision. The right choice may lead to a feeling of lightness or make you breathe easily.
Keeping and maintaining a healthy digestive fire– To achieve a powerful Agni;
- Avoid overeating. One can eat about two cupped food handfuls during every meal.
- Take beverages at room temperature or those that are slightly warm. Avoid ice addition.
- While eating, take small water sips and avoid juices, soda, or alcohol. A lot of drinking while eating will tend to dilute digestive acids while alcohol gives excess acids.
- Allow the stomach to rest between meals. Replenishing if the Agni occurs when the stomach is resting and frequent snacking between meals won’t allow for this.
- Pitta types should avoid spicy foods.
Mantras– RAM is the mantra associated with the Solar Plexus Chakra. Chanting this mantra will help open and align it. Pronounce it as “rom.”
Affirmations– Affirmations may be included in yoga flows or guided meditations but can also be used when one feels that their Solar Flexus requires a little energy boost. Repetition of affirmations, whether loudly or simply writing them down, will help reverse negative thoughts and replace them with productive ones. Solar Plexus Chakra affirmations may include;
- I am enough.
- I am strong, capable, and powerful.
- I have the Courage to create positive life changes.
- I have a purpose.
- I am confident and authentic.
Aromatherapy and essential oils– Both of these can be used to balance the Manipura passively. Aromatherapy will awaken the sense of our personal power. Oils can diffuse as one engages in other activities. Cedarwood, rosemary, bergamot, and chamomile are good scents for the Manipura.
Colors– Since yellow is the color associated with the Solar Plexus Chakra, wearing clothing items or clothes with a yellow or golden color will help awaken the Manipura.
Visualization– Trying visualization acts such as breathing in and then radiating back out of a vivid spinning golden or yellow light from the Manipura while expanding wider with each breath will help open up or align the Solar Plexus Chakra.
Gemstones– Any stones that correspond to colors yellow or gold will help open the Solar Plexus Chakra. These gems will bring a new wave of energy to the spleen, pancreas, liver, and stomach.
Solar Plexus Chakra Yoga and Yoga Asanas
Yoga is a robust tool for the alignment of the Manipura. Practicing yoga poses while incorporating mindful breathing will aid in Manipura’s tension release mentally, physically, and emotionally. Any yoga poses that bring about heat to the Manipura area will be effective at its stimulation. Yoga practice, beyond balancing the Manipura, creates a sense of growth, strength, and power.
Yoga poses for the Manipura include;
- Navasana/ Boat pose– This yoga pose requires one to contract their abdominal muscles and find the balance between their sitting and tail bones. It strengthens abdominal muscles, which is the central part of the Manipura.
- Matsyendrasana/ A seated Spinal Twist– This yoga pose targets abdominal twisting and the digestive system and accentuates comfort. It relaxes the back and the spine. During the abdominal press, one’s willpower is strengthened, and a balance is developed for the right and left body sides.
- Dhanurasana/ Bow pose– The back-bending pose generates a large amount of intra-abdominal massage to organs associated with the digestive system, especially the liver and pancreas. The stimulation offers the Solar Plexus Chakra promotes an efficient digestive process and effectively eliminates body toxins and waste. Extending the neck stimulates thyroid glands, kick-starting healthy hormone secretion to improve metabolism to manage one’s weight.
- Virabhadrasana/ Warrior pose– This strong yoga pose opens up the area within the Solar Plexus Chakra. The pose will offer an opportunity to evoke warrior qualities such as courage, focus, discipline, and concentration.
- Simhasana/ Lion pose– This yoga pose will benefit the thyroid gland and reduce tension within the upper body. It imitates a king’s boldness of the lion evoking a vibrant spirit within you. It can be combined with the lion’s breath, referred to as pranayama, in a yoga class to enhance its healing properties for the Manipura.
- Tadasana/ Mountain pose– A well-performed tadasana uses almost all body muscles. It strengthens the abdomen, the critical area of the Solar Plexus Chakra. Doing this pose with a smooth and steady breath will relieve stress and improve one’s concentration.
Solar Plexus Chakra Stones
Gemstones and crystals will usually activate the Solar Plexus Chakra to clear out the positive ions that lead to its clogging or blockage. The healing stones are most effective when they are in close proximity to the Solar Plexus Chakra. Different stones have different vibrational frequencies and will only be helpful if they have the same vibrational frequency as that of the Chakra in need of balancing or alignment. The use of gemstones or crystals for the Manipura helps connect an individual with their responsibility for life and a sense of purpose.
Gemstone healing tips for the Solar Plexus Chakra
- Wear the gems or crystals as jewelry pieces to keep their powerful energy vibrations close.
- Use the gems or crystals for meditation by holding on to them or placing them within your surroundings.
- Carry the gems in your pocket, purse, or wallet to keep them close to you and have easy access whenever you need a boost for your confidence or motivation.
- Make an elixir out of your gems or crystals to be able to absorb their energies.
- Place the gems or crystals around your home or office.
- Create a crystal or gem grid to absorb their powers.
- When you go to bed, you can place the gem or crystal under your pillow or on your bedside table.
Since the color associated with the Solar Plexus Chakra is yellow or gold, any gemstones that correspond to these colors help open or align this Chakra. Gems for the Solar Plexus Chakra include;
Topaz is a Sanskrit term that represents “fire.” Fire is the elemental sign of the Manipura. The gemstone is yellow. The yellow topaz is revered by many for its color and sparkling clarity. Many believe that it symbolizes serenity and empathy, a soothing stone, and a stone that promotes harmonious relationships. It encourages forgiveness and helps release tension. It fosters an atmosphere full of harmony, pleasantness, and warmth.
The stone is a symbol of balance and is believed to be a promoter of emotional stability. The stone will enhance one’s awareness, power, and leadership skills. The yellow topaz is believed to eradicate negative thoughts within oneself and relieve one from repetitive worries, regrets, and depression. It encourages the growth of the inner piece bringing about a positive approach and stability. The stone’s sparkling nature passes a positive approach and fulfillment. It is believed to have healing powers beneficial for conditions such as indigestion, memory loss, and liver dysfunction. It possesses calming effects which curb nervous breakdowns and aggravations that may trigger mental disorders.
Golden Yellow Labradorite
The Golden Yellow Labradorite works within the Manipura to assist in epitomizing and managing one’s personal power and strength. It is bright yellow and has a masculine vibration that balances the male-female energy.
It helps boost creativity. It has the golden sun energy and hence helps connect one to the Great central sun. The Great Central Sun is responsible for qualities such as self-confidence, assertiveness, and physical vitality. The gemstone is a premier manifestation stone that, when used consistently, with a positive mental attitude may manifest what to give attention to in one’s life. The stone can stimulate mental clarity, revitalization, Courage, and expanded thinking. The stone will help calm your heightened emotions and help you gain a sense of direction in life. This stone will help center your energies into the Manipura. The Golden Yellow Labradorite is the stone to have around you when you need to enhance your creativity, aid clearance of thoughts, boost your confidence and introduce vital energy for life. The lovely stone has advantageous healing properties for organs within the Manipura and will therefore aid in healing any problems associated with the organs – liver, spleen, kidney and aid in detoxification.
Tiger’s Eye Stone
The stone is dubbed the “Stone of Courage” and is yellow. The Tiger’s Eye Stone is a protective stone that will invite one to embrace their personal willpower and inner strength. It is referenced to the Tiger, which is strong and courageous. It urges one to remember that personal strength is required to flourish in the unpredictable sequence of life events. The stone will serve as a reminder for one to harness their inner strength, stand tall, and stop self-sabotaging. The Tiger’s Eye is all about bringing about self-confidence as opposed to hiding away. It is a stimulant for action taking and helps release any fears. It exudes a powerful aura that helps shield the user from any foreign attack.
Being yellow in color, it can soothe and replenish any low energies within the Manipura. It will allow one to pass through life difficulties and hurdles with endurance, motivation, and willpower. It eliminates fears promoting risk-taking, talent exploration, and capability. It is the stone that will improve your gut feelings, intuition, and integrity while sharpening your sense. It relieves disastrous food cravings and helps eradicate digestive problems or issues.
See: The Ultimate Guide to Tiger’s Eye
The Lemon Quartz is associated with personal empowerment and optimism. The stone can be used to put away negative thoughts as well as clear them. It empowers self-worth and self-love and helps eliminate mental energies or patterns that may block the Manipura. It is a remover of self-doubt, a clearer of one’s aura, and envelopes a sense of self-confidence. As a result, one can steer themselves towards joy and inner peace. The Lemon Quartz can help control food cravings and even reduce symptoms associated with diabetes.
The Yellow Jasper combines Chalcedony and Quartz with a yellow color that varies and may range from the pale canary yellow to deep rick mustard. It is the “stone of protection” owing to its ability to manifest support during stressful times and the ability to absorb negative energies. This gemstone can be used to open and align the Solar Plexus Chakra as it encourages the Courage for one to move forward and steers self-esteem. It provides a significant boost of one’s enthusiasm, allowing them to attract and channel positive energies.
It carries the energies of the sun, which give constant positive vibrations that promote happiness and overall positivity. It is a healing stone for anyone facing anxiety or constant stress. The stone is believed to help clear one’s mind and help towards goal achievement as opposed to regress. The Yellow Jasper stone can help one tap into the knowledge stored in their instinctual gut (the Solar Plexus Chakra). It shields one from negativity. The stone will bring understanding, tolerance for any misunderstandings in situations, and stamina for the user. The stone boosts confidence and relieves depressive thoughts and anxiety in social situations.
The stone is bright yellow in color and is also often known as the “Stone of Success.” It boosts one’s empowerment and confidence. It is a gemstone believed to promote abundance and success and radiates joy to light up the life aspects of the user. The stone is excellent for body organs such as the pancreas, spleen, and the digestive system. Citrine will help remove any deep-seated fears within and bring back optimism and spark for your life. It provides a much wider perspective when looking at different things or matters. It is also known to eradicate any negative energy that other people may have accumulated.
See: The Ultimate Guide to Citrine
It is also referred to as verdalite. The stone will help you keep connected to light even in dark situations. This is because it affects one’s subconsciousness through the reduction of neurotic tendencies. It will also help one recognize any wounds inflicted by life and therefore work to overcome them. Emotionally, the stone helps neutralize anger, jealousy, insecurity, and resentment and promote confidence, optimism, joy, and enthusiasm. It aids in helping one express any blocked feelings and sadness to gain tolerance. The stone will loosen any emotional blocks and handle accumulated inner conflicts. It reduces feelings of anxiety and depression.
The Solar Plexus is vital for how we view and carry ourselves and those around us. When balanced and well-aligned, the Solar Plexus will boost our self-confidence, personal power and strength, and willpower. When you start manifesting behaviours or character traits such as being overly obsessive, domineering, and compulsive, chances are you have a blocked or unbalanced Solar Plexus Chakra. This is the ultimate time to concentrate your efforts into aligning, opening, and healing your blocked Solar Plexus Chakra. Yoga and yoga poses, breathing exercises, mantras, sounds, colors, words of affirmations, meditation, aromatherapy, and essential oils use and specific gemstones or crystals will help heal the Solar Plexus Chakra. We, therefore, must work towards healing our Solar Plexus Chakra to lead a more satisfying and optimistic life that oozes self-confidence.